Saturday, August 3, 2013

RIP... Zeus Elvis Pryor


August 2, 2013 ended on a sad note for me and my family.  Our dog was killed by a car.  We live in a rural area with a busy road not far from our home.  It is the main road that connects cars from the main interstate and a highway.  The speed limit on the road is 40 mph, but it still seems to fast when you're the one who lives on the street.  People seem to rarely do the speed limit.  This is a somewhat benefit for the local police, as they seem to always be pulling someone over and giving them a ticket for speeding.  Nevertheless, a car, not paying attention, and driving to fast, ended Zeus's life this evening.  Zeus had been drawn across the street by the scent of a few female dogs.  It all seemed innocent enough, until it ended in tragedy.  We had only had Zeus for almost 5 months, but it felt like a lifetime.  I broke down in tears when I found out.  I was shopping at a local big box store, and was in the craft aisle.  It hit me like a ton of bricks.  "Zeus is dead", my daughter told me over the phone.  I couldn't stop crying.  I felt so bad for him, as if I had let him down.  Maybe I had, but I couldn't do anything to change that he was gone.  He was a best friend to our other dog, Dutch.  He towered over him in size, but they were so close, almost like brothers.  Zeus lived a full life and loved life to the fullest.  Rest in peace Zeus, and may you find warm, green pastures to lie in that are filled with trees and sticks to chew on.  We will miss you.


Zeus and Dutch


No comments: